tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 03 22:35:42 1994

re: vIH

Qanqorvo':
     *    *    *

The key rebuttal has involved quoting the thing on page 78, a
passage I am quite aware of.  Here it is again:

>"For ease of reference, English entries in the English-Klingon
>section of this dictionary
     [...]
>Similarly, when a Klingon word is translated into an English
>phrase (e.g., *have a headache*), the first word in the English
>entry is the key word in the phrase, followed by the proper
>translation (e.g., *headache, have a headache*)."

Now, look again.  That passage refers most explicitly to entries in
the English-Klingon section.  I very specifically pointed out in my
post that simple "move" is given in *both directions*.  While I
didn't harp on it, I consider that extremely key.  If it were only
listed that way in the English-Klingon entry, I would agree that the
above paragraph applies.  But it simple "move" also exists in the
Klingon-English entry, to which the above paragraph does NOT apply.
Again, I am not claiming for vIH one way or the other, I simply
point out that the case is far from air-tight either way.  In
particular, air leaks in from the above mentioned definition.

     *    *    *
vIjang:
I did notice and pay attention to your mention of "both
directions", and therefore I read the passage from TKD carefully
to see what it said about them.  And I read the sentence
beginning "Similarly" as parallel with the foregoing discussion
about the E-K side: it tells us that the same convention applies
to the K-E side.  Thus, when the K-E side of the dictionary gives
us

     vIH       move, be in motion (v)

"move" is the key word in the phrase (under which a Terran would
be likely to search), but the proper translation is "be in
motion".

- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level