tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 30 01:46:13 1994

Re: Klinpack. *warning* big message

> For all you wonderful people who are interested in seeing my meager
> Klinpack, here it is.  I've already mailed it to some of you, but others
> may be interested.  I know there are mistakes in there, so please send me
> any pertinent corrections.  As soon as I get this monster quick and fit,
> I'll create an answer sheet to go with it.

Don't send me another copy, then.  I will just keep this one.

I was originally not going to comment on this, and I am certainly not
going to comment on *all* of it... just the forst lesson or two.  I hope
that what I am going to point out will be enough to give chuQun some
ideas to look for in the rest of the Pack.

> ***********
> WORKSHEET 1
> vumnav wa'

<vumnav> is an invalid word.  You cannot form a compound noun from a verb
and a noun, as you have done here.  <vum> is a verb, and only a verb.
Try <Qu'> instead.

> b  - same as English, only with a slight m sound to it, as in the
>      word imbalance without the initial i sound.

Be careful;  the 'm' sound to 'b' isn't *required*... it just *might* be
there.

> D  - harsher, as in the insult Duh!  Sometimes pronounced with a
>      slight n sound, similar to the word sound.

Same warning here as for 'b'.  And no, it isn't necessarily 'harsher'.
It is pronounced *differently*.  Re-read the description on how to
pronounce this consonant, please!  You put the tongue *straight* *up*.
It can be damned awkward to say right, and has a distinctly diferrent sound.

(Althought the "Duh!" approximation is close, I think)

> ew - similar to the word Hey-o!

I have *no* idea where you got this pronounciation from.  This is
promounced nothing like "Hey-o!"  It is, I think, like nothing in English
(at least, that I can think off right now) other than to say the name of
the letter 'o'... with a stuffed up nose.

> Iw - As in French bleu.

Or as in the English expression of disgust:  "eeeew!"
{{:)

> m  - like in English mud, but sometimes pronounced with
>      a slight b sound.

Ah, here you got the 'sometimes' thing right...
maj!

>      tlh as in the Aztec tetl, this sound is the first sound
>      in the word Klingon.  It is a bit softer than the Kl sound,
>      being pronounced in the front of the mouth rather than the
>      back.

This was a formatting error... It wasn't at the margin like the others.

> w  - like the English worry, sometimes like the English what?

Um... I am not certain it is like "what?".  Hw is very different from
wh.  To em, at least.

>  ' - [apostrophe] a glottal stop, found (but not written) in English
>      words such as uh-uh, and upsy daisy.  Practice it.

Upsy daisy?  Really?  Where?

> nuq (newk)          what?

I don't see a 'w' in there.  nook, please.

> ghorgh  (whorgh)    when?

Again, no 'w'.  The gh is a gh...  mebby 'hr' to help indicate
pronounciation?  It sounds like a growl, after all...

> nuqDaq  (newk dock) where?

Same commetn as for nuq.  dock?  No, dahk is closer.  Different vowl sounds!

> chay (chee, chie)   how?

chee?  CHEE?  ch-hi is actually closer!  There is no "ee" sound in there
whatsoever!

> HISaH   (hee shah)  Yes

No, HISlaH.  Son't forget the 'l'.

> HIja'   (hee jaw')  Yes

w?  No w in there!

> jIyajbe'    (jee yaj beh)   I don't understand.

Your pronounciation implies that be' isn't cut off at the end, like it
should be.  Please think this over.

> qab (cohb)              bad

There you go, changing vowls again.  the Klingon 'a' shounds *nothing*
like the terran 'o'!

> Dajang  (Dah jahng)     Repeat it.
> bojang  (bow jahng)     You all repeat it.

jang means to repeat?  This is news to me... according to my KD, it means
"to reply"!

Okay, I think that is enough.  I hope that the idea has been gotten
across... And no, I *didn't* look at any of the later worksheets.  The
first one was error-ridden enough.

I don't want anyone to think that I do not believe that this is not a
worthwile project:  It is worthwhile.  But *please* take the time to do
it *right*.  If you aren't sure about a pronounciation, ask.  There are
people here whose speaking skills far surpass mine, and they could
certainly give you a better idea how certain words should sound.
Double-check the meaning of words you use, and the grammar, where
appropriate.

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level