tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 19 08:30:12 1994

Klinpack. *warning* big message

For all you wonderful people who are interested in seeing my meager
Klinpack, here it is.  I've already mailed it to some of you, but others
may be interested.  I know there are mistakes in there, so please send me
any pertinent corrections.  As soon as I get this monster quick and fit,
I'll create an answer sheet to go with it.

      & & & & & & & & & & & & & &
KLINPACK!
Edited by Heidi Wessman
Adapted from The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand
Star Trek(tm), Paramount Studios, CA, USA

Welcome to Klinpack!
This is a primer in basic Klingon grammar.  It is still in the
experimental stage, so the occasional mistake will occur.  If you
have suggestions that could make this Klinpack better, I'd love to
hear them. Remember, this is only a primer, and is not meant to teach
the whole of the Klingon Langage.  It is only an introduction.If you
have any questions about anything, feel free to email responses to
[email protected].  This Klinpack primer is derived from
The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand. Star Trek and all other
registered marks are trademarks of Paramount Studios.  No infringe-
ments or plagiarisms intended.  Post as often as you like, just don't
remove the copyright listings.  Thank you.

THANKS TO: all who helped in sorting out my errors, especially to my
"Vampire Class" who picked up most of my first mistakes. "Let's share
some spit!"

Okrand, Marc, _THE_KLINGON_DICTIONARY_, Pocket Books, New York
     copyright 1985, Addendum copyright 1990

***********
WORKSHEET 1
vumnav wa'

BASICS: sounds, beginning vocabulary.

The sounds of Klingon are as follows.  Remember, Klingon is a
harsh language and must be spoken boldly.  Expectoration, or
spitting, will sometimes occur.  Ignore it.

a  - as in the English psalm.
aw - as in English cow.
ay - as in English cry.
b  - same as English, only with a slight m sound to it, as in the
     word imbalance without the initial i sound.
ch - as in English chew
D  - harsher, as in the insult Duh!  Sometimes pronounced with a
     slight n sound, similar to the word sound.
e  - as in English sensor.
ew - similar to the word Hey-o!
ey - as in English pay.
gh - this is not like anything in English.  The closest approximation
     is the word gobble, but is harsher, and pronounced in the back
     of the throat. Choke a bit for this one.
H  - Another not like English. This is more like the german ch, as
     in the word Bach, or in the Yiddish word l'chaim.  It is a harsh
     sound.
I  - As in English misfit.  Sometimes pronounced as zucchini, but
     rarely.
Iw - As in French bleu.
Iy - As in English key.
j  - hard j.  As in the English junk.
l  - like in English lunch.
m  - like in English mud, but sometimes pronounced with
     a slight b sound.
n  - like in English nerd, sometimes pronounce with a slight d sound.
ng - like the English dang it!
o  - as in English mosaic
oy - as in English toy.
p  - like in English, only with more force, like the word pop!
     This one is a spitter.
q  - like the English k in kumquat, but pronounced more
     in the back of the throat.  Never pronounced like the
     English qu.
Q  - no English equivalent.  It is an overdone Klingon q, being
     more harsh and gutteral.
r  - like the British r, or the Spanish rr.  It is slighly rolled,
     or gargled, depending on physiology.
S  - halfway between the English s and sh.  It is
     hissed as if a snake said shh!  Be quiet.
t  - as in English tarp. This is also another spitter.
     tlh as in the Aztec tetl, this sound is the first sound
     in the word Klingon.  It is a bit softer than the Kl sound,
     being pronounced in the front of the mouth rather than the
     back.
u  - as in English prune.
uy - as in English gooey.
v  - as in English vulcan.
w  - like the English worry, sometimes like the English what?
y  - as in English yodel.
 ' - [apostrophe] a glottal stop, found (but not written) in English
     words such as uh-uh, and upsy daisy.  Practice it.

Helpful Words

These are some basic words you should know.

nuq (newk)          what?
ghorgh  (whorgh)    when?
nuqDaq  (newk dock) where?
`Iv (`ihv)          who?
qatlh (kahtlh)      why?
chay (chee, chie)   how?
`ar (`are)          how many/how much?

HISaH   (hee shah)  Yes
HIja'   (hee jaw')  Yes
ghobe'  (hoh be')    No
lu' (loo')          Okay

jIyaj   (jee yaj)           I understand. [no object]
jIyajbe'    (jee yaj beh)   I don't understand.
vIyaj   (vee yaj)           I understand it/that.
vIyajbe'    (vee yaj beh)   I don't understand it/that.

maj (mahdge)            good
qab (cohb)              bad
majQa'  (mahdge kha')   very good, well done

Dajatlh (Dah jahtlh)    You say it.
bojatlh (bow jahtlh)    You all say it.

Dajang  (Dah jahng)     Repeat it.
bojang  (bow jahng)     You all repeat it.

***********
WORKSHEET 2
vumnav cha'
New Words: verbs and verb prefixes

    Sov     to know     ghoS     to go
    Del     to describe tlhob    to ask
    pol             to keep SaH   to care

       VERB PREFIXES
PREFIX-VERB-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9
          \ROVER/

This is the verbal structure.  All suffixes are ALWAYS
put in the order they come in.

        OBJECT
        none    me    you    him/    us    you    them
                            her/it        (plural)
SUBJECT
I        jI-     -    qa-     vI-     -     Sa-    vI-

you      bI-    cho-   -      Da-     ju-    -     Da-

he/      *      mu-   Du-     *       nu-    lI-    *
she/it
we       ma-     -     pI-    wI-     -      re-    DI-

you      Su-    tu-    -      bo-     che-    -     bo-
plural
they     *      mu-    nI-    lu-     nu-    lI-    *

* No prefix is used.  Context of the sentence indicates
Subject/Object.

example:  I drink.    jItlhutlh   .         We go there.    wIghoS .

1.  I know.
2. (you) Describe it.
3.  You all ask them.
4. They keep it.
5.  He describes them.
6. You know me.
7.  You all know us.
8.  We keep them.
9.  She cares.
10. They go there.
11. They describe us.
12. I care for it.
13. (you) Go.
14. We ask you.
15. It goes with you.
16. It goes with you all.
17. We describe you all.
18. They care for me.
19. You all keep it.
20. You all know.

***********
WORKSHEET 3
vumnav wej

New Words: verbs and verb suffixes
    jatlh  to speak/talk        ja'    to tell
    Sop    to eat               SopwI' to be eaten
    QaH    to help              nej    to search
    Do'    to be lucky          Qoy    to hear

Suffix 1: Oneself/one another
    -egh  oneself           -chuq one another

    ex: I talk to myself        jIjatlhegh    (bI - jatlh - egh)
        We talk to ourselves    majatlhchuq   (ma - jatlh - chuq)

Suffix 2: Volition/predisposition

    -nIS  need          -qang  willing
    -rup  ready, prepared (refers to beings)
    -beH   ready, set up (refers to things)
    -vIp  afraid

    ex: You need to drink.        chotlhutlhnIS (cho - tlhutlh - nIS)
        I'm willing to help you.  qaQaHqang     (qa - QaH - qang)
        We are ready to go.       maghoSrup    (ma - ghoS - rup)
        The chocolate is ready    yuch SopwI'beH  (SopwI' - beH)
        to be eaten.
        I'm afraid of being eaten.  jISopwI'vIp   (jI - SopwI' - vIp)

Suffix 3: Change

    -choH  change in state, change in direction
    -qa'   resume

    ex: You all are getting lucky.  SuDo'choH  (Su - Do' - choH)
        They are resuming the       lunejqa'   (lu - nej - qa')
        search for him.

Suffix 4:

    -moH   cause to happen
        You let them hear.      DaQoymoH   (Da - Qoy - moH)
        (You cause them to hear)

Suffix 5: Indefinite subject/ability

    -lu'  indefinite subject
    -laH  can, able

    ex:  Something/someone tells me.    muja'lu'   (mu - ja' - lu')
         We can talk to you all.        rejatlhlaH (re - jatlh -laH)

EXERCISES:

    Conjugate the verb with the proper prefix and suffix.

1.  I need to know.
2.  We help ourselves.
3.  They can ask them.
4.  You are ready to go.
5.  It is ready to go.
6.  You resume talking to them.
7.  I'm afraid to keep it.
8.  You all cause us to ask.
9.  Something/someone is being eaten.
10. She keeps it willingly.
11. I'm afraid to describe them.
12. They need to ask you.
13. You're willing to go with us.
14. You caused me to care.
15. I can eat it.
16. You can keep eating it.
17. Something/someone speaks.
18. I am ready to talk.
19. We search for ourselves.
20. They are willing to be lucky.

***********
WORKSHEET 4
vumnav loS

New Words: verbs and verb suffixes, cont.
    chIm      to be empty           legh  to see
    yaj       to understand         choq  to preserve

Suffix 6: Qualification

    -chu'  clearly, perfectly
    -bej   certainly, undoubtedly
    -law'  seemingly, apparently
    -ba'   obviously

    ex: I understand perfectly      jIyajchu'    (jI - yaj - chu')
        You certainly can hear it.  DaQoylaHbej  (Da - Qoy - laH - bej)
        It seems to be eaten.         SopwI'law'   (SopwI' - law')

Suffix 7: Aspect

    -pu'    perfective
    -ta'    acomplished, done
    -taH    continuous
    -lI'    in progress

    ex: We ate it.          maSoppu'     (ma - Sop - pu')
        They have searched us.    nunejta'     (nu - nej - ta')
        You are always lucky.     bIDo'taH     (bI - Do' - taH)
        You all are helping.        SuQaHlI'     (Su - QaH - lI')

Suffix 8: Honorific  (optional)

    -neS    honorific
    ex: I am honored to see you.  qaleghneS   (qa - legh - neS)

Suffix 9: Syntactic markers

    -DI'    as soon as, when
    -chugh  if
    -pa'    before
    -taH    continuous
    -bogh   which
    -meH    for
    -`a'    interrogative
    -wI'    one who does, thing which does
    -vIS    while   (always used with Suffix 7)
    -mo'    because
    -jaj    may, might
    -ghach  nominalizer

Suffix 9: cont.

    ex:  We are going as soon as we eat.    maghoSlI' maSopDI'
         We eat if we go.                   maSop maghoSchugh
         We eat before we go.               maSop maghoSpa'
         We are eating while we go          maSoptaH maghoSvIS
         We go for chocolate.               yuch maghoSmeH
         Are we going?                      maghoS`a'?
         He is the lucky one.               Do'wI'
         We might go.                       maghoSjaj
         We are going because we            maghoSlI' maSopnISmo'
         need to eat.

         lo'   use
         lo'laHghach  value

Suffix Rovers: negative and emphatic

    -be'     not
    -Qo'     don't or won't
    -Ha'     undo
    -qu'     emphatic

    ex: I don't understand  (I understand not.)  jIyajbe'
        We won't speak.                          majatlhQo'
        They hurl chunks.  (They barf,           SopHa'
        They undo their eating.  They chuck
        their cookies.)
        They really hurl!                        SopHa'qu'

EXERCISES:

    Conjugate the verb with the proper prefix and suffix(es).

1.  I see perfectly.
2.  I'm honored to talk to you.
3.  We have eaten it.
4.  They have spoken to one another.
5.  We need to preserve it.
6.  We are always going.
7.  It is not empty.
8.  We have made you understand.
9.  Something/someone ate it already.
10. We may search for it.
11. We don't need to talk.
12. Are you ready to understand?
13. We are looking for the speaker.
14. You all are always helping.
15. Understand before you speak.
16. They are ready to go as soon as you are ready to go.
17. They have eaten it while we have spoken.
18. We have resumed searching.
19. I searched for them.
20. It can't be helped.
21. It has obviously been eaten.
22. They left while we described them.
23. Don't go before we speak to you!

***********
WORKSHEET 5
vumnav vagh
New Words: nouns and noun suffixes

    yuch        chocolate
    puq         child
    roj         peace
    Duj         ship, vessel
    tlhIngan    Klingon
    Tera'ngan   Terran (Human)
    ghop        hand
    mab         treaty
    pa'         room
    pegh        secret
    be'         female, woman
    mIn         eye
    loD         male, man
    yaS         officer
    Sung        native
    nov         foreigner

NOUN-1-2-3-4-5

Suffix 1: Augmentative/diminutive

    -Hom  diminutive
    -`a'  augmentative

    ex: lots of chocolate       yuch`a'
        big child               puq`a'
        truce, temporary peace  rojHom
        little ship             DujHom

Suffix 2: Number/plural

    -pu'  plural for sentients, beings capable of language
    -Du'  plural for body parts
    -mey' plural, general usage (not for use with body parts)
         When used with sentients, it gives a meaning of
         `scattered.'

    ex:  tlhInganpu'    Klingons
         yuchmey        chocolate pieces
         ghopDu'        hands
         tera'nganpumey Terrans all over

Suffix 3: Qualification

    -qoq      so-called, indicates irony sometimes
    -Hey      apparent, unsure
    -na'      definite

    ex:  so-called treaty   mabqoq
         possibly a ship    DujHey
         chocolate for sure yuchna'

Suffix 4: Possession/specification

    -wIj    my                      -maj    our
    -lIj    your                    -raj    your (plural)
    -Daj    his, hers, its          -chaj   their

Sometimes the possessed noun is a sentient.  A special set of
suffixes is used for first- and second-person language.  Using
the former set with a sentient could be considered derrogatory.

    -wI'    my                      -ma'    our
    -lI'    your                    -ra'    your (plural)

    ex: my chocolate    yuchwIj    our chocolate           yuchmaj
        your chocolate  yuchlIj    "y'all's" chocolate     yuchraj
        his chocolate   yuchDaj    their chocolate         yuchchaj

        my child        puqwI'      our child       puqma'
        your child      puqlI'      your child      puqra'

Suffix 5: Syntactic Markers

    -Daq        locative
    -vo'        from
    -mo'        due to, because of
    -vaD        for, intended for
    -`e'        topic

    ex:  in the room        pa'Daq       from the room       pa'vo'
    because of your treaty  mablIjmo'
    for the child           puqvaD       about the child     puq`e'

NUMBERS

O.  pagh        6.  jav         20.         cha'maH
1.  wa'         7.  Soch        100.        wa'vatlh
2.  cha'        8.  chorgh      1000.       wa'Sad or wa'SanID
3.  wej         9.  Hut         10,000.     wa'netlh
4.  loS         10. wa'maH      100,000.    wa'bIp
5.  vagh        11. wa'maHwa'   1,000,000.  wa''uy'

    -logh notion of repetition
        wa'logh  once
        cha'logh twice
        Hutlogh  nine times

    -DIch   Ordinal
        wa'DIch     first
        cha'DIch    second
        HutDIch     ninth

EXERCISES: nouns, prefixes, and suffixes

1.  your chocolate
2.  little child
3.  children
4.  hands
5.  so-called secret
6.  men
7.  your officer
8.  your chocolate
9.  from the ship
10. from my ship
11. in the ship
12. in his ship
13. foreigners
14. five foreigners
15. their five foreigners
16.  their treaties
17.  our treaties
18.  due to your big hand
19.  Klingons all over the place
20.  little girl
21.  big secrets
22.  my big secrets
23.  your big secret
24.  on the ship
25.  for the child
26.  chocolate for the child
27.  thirty children
28.  due to your so-called peace...
29.  from the Terrans
30.  about those Terrans...
31. fifth room
32. for peace
33. three times my lady
34.  because of the officer, we talk about it.
35.  We care for the children.
36.  We see it from the ship.
37.  They can eat a lot of chocolate.
38.  We need to talk to your officers.

***********
WORKSHEET 5
vumnav vagh
New words: SYNTAX
    targh     targ, type of animal      legh    to see
    So'wI'    cloaking device           yaj     to understand
    vulqan    Vulcan (Mr. Spock)        mugh    to translate

EVERYTHING ELSE - OBJECT - VERB - SUBJECT
(This is the reverse of the English subject-verb-object.)

Simple Sentences:

For example:

    vulqan legh targh   The targ sees the Vulcan.
    targh legh vulqan   The Vulcan sees the Targ.
    muyaj vulqan        The Vulcan understands me.
    vulqan vIyaj jIH    I understand the Vulcan.
    vulqan vIyaj        (It is not necessary, when using first and
                         second person to put the personal pronoun
                         in the subject spot.)

    puqvaD tlhIngan vImugh   I translate Klingon for the child.

In Klingon, the first letter of the sentence is not capitalized.  And
puncutation is not used.  Suffixes indicate a statement, a question,
or an exclamation.

Complex Sentences, Compound Sentences, Conjunctions:

    Joining Nouns       Joining Sentences
        je                  `ej                and
        joq                 qoj                and/or
        ghap                pagh               either/or
                        `ach,  `a               but, however

Two sentences maybe joined together to form a longer compound
sentence. Both sentences must be able to stand alone as a properly
formed sentence.  When combined, they simply come one after another,
joined by a conjunction.

    vIlegh `ej vIyaj        I see her, and I understand her.
    jIlegh `ach leghbe'     I see, but she doesn't (see).

The prefix must be used in both parts, or the meaning changes.  Both
sentences must reflect the same idea in the fullest form.

    So'wI' vIyaj `ach So'wI vIleghbe'   I understand the cloaking
                                        device, but I don't see it
                                        (the cloaking device).

EXERCISES:

1. I hear it and I see it.
2. You know me but you don't see me.
3. I will tell you if I hear it.
4. I am ready to go, and you are ready to go.
5. I am ready to go if you are ready to go, and/or he will go with us.
6. You all need to hear the officer, or you won't be lucky.
7.  They are ready to search again for the child but I am not ready
    to search for the child.
8. I have seen you, however, you have not seen me.
9. Native and foreigners listen to officers.
10. Men and/or women care for the children.
11. The officer didn't keep the secret, or he didn't know it.
12. I eat chocolate, or I don't eat.
13. We see three children.
14. How many hands do we see?
15. We see five hands, but they see six hands.
16. The so-called officer is definitely a child.
17. They hear the Klingon and he talks of peace.
18.  We are lucky and we hear him perfectly.

***********
WORKSHEET 6
vumnav jav

New words: Adverbials

These words usually comes at the beginning of a sentence and describe
the manner of the activity.

    batlh       with honor, in an honored fashion
    bong        by accident, accidentally, not intentionally
    chaq        perhaps
    DaH         on purpose, purposely
    Do'         now
    loQ         with luck, luckily
    nom         slighly, a little bit
    not         fast, quickly
    neH         only, merely, just (this one comes after
                                    the verb it modifies)
    pay'        never
    pIj         suddenly
    QIt         slowly
    reH         always
    rut         sometimes
    tugh        soon
    vaj         thus, in that case, so, accordingly, then
    wej         not yet

example:

    reH yuch vISop                  I always eat chocolate.
    pay' yuch DaSop                 You never eat chocolate.
    rut yuch luSop                  They sometimes eat chocolate.
    not puqpu'mo' yuch wISopta'     Because of the children, we
                                    quickly ate the chocolate.
    DaH yuch boSoptaH               You are eating the chocolate on
                                    purpose.
    tugh yuch Sop vulqan            The vulcan eats chocolate soon.

neH: Unlike the other adverbials, neH follows the verb it modifies.
     The effect trivializes the action.

example:
    yuch vISop neH  I merely ate chocolate.

Sometimes it can be used to modify a noun, unlike the other adverbials.

example:
    be' neH yuch Sop   Only the woman eats chocolate.

Some adverbials occur alone as exclamations.

example:
    nom Move fast!
    wej     Not yet!
    tugh    Hurry up!

***********
WORKSHEET 7
vumnav Soch

Clauses: Subordinate, Relative, and Purpose

New words:

    cha     torpedoes           baH to fire
    qama'   prisoner            HoH to kill

Klingon verbs ending in Verb Suffix 9 (other than -`a' and -wI')
always occur in sentences with another verb.  Hence, they are verbs
in subordinate clauses.

    cha DabaH qajatlhDI'
  or qajatlhDI' cha DabaH       Fire torpedoes when I say.

The two parts are cha DabaH and jatlhDI'.  -DI' is a Suffix 9 which
means when or as soon as.  Therefore, qajatlhDI' must be part of a
sentence and cannot stand by itself.

    Another example:

    bIjatlhHa'chugh qaHoH  If you misspeak, I will kill you.
  or qaHoh bIjatlhHa'chugh  I will kill you if you misspeak.

Note that the English translation uses the word will.  There is no
marker for the future in Klingon.  The above translation could also
be "If you misspeak, I kill you."  However, there is a marker for
the past, also in the verb Suffix 9.

    jatlhvIS DIHohpu'       While they spoke, we killed them.

Relative clauses are translated into English as phrases that begin
with who, which, where, and that.  Like adjectives, they describe
nouns.

    yuch Sopbogh puq vIlegh  I see the child who eats the chocolate.
    mulegh yuch Sopbogh puq  The child who eats the chocolate sees me.

If an action is being done in order to accomplish something, the verb
ends with Suffix 9 -meH (for).  The purpose clause always precedes
the noun or verb whose purpose it is describing.

END KLINPACK

Back to archive top level