tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 15 06:47:11 1994

Re: word for "guile"

According to Jennifer James:
> But that still leaves us with the problem of whether or not you can
> form a compound from a verb and a noun.  Any official word on that
> problem?  I think mu'qaD gives us a good precedent for mu'ong.
> (That is, unless I've transliterated the word for "curse"
> incorrectly from PK, in which case, Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIs
> SuvwI'pu'.)
>
> Jennifer James
> Internet: [email protected]
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Well, the official word is that Okrand can do it and we can't.
Period. In TKD it says that many words act as both nouns and
verbs, but not all words do and we cannot presume to know which
ones unless Maltz (the informant) TELLS us precisely which
ones. The TKD word list includes examples of words and those
genuinely are the only ones we can use, except for other
Okrandian sources, best tracked through HolQeD, since that's
where they will all eventually be listed.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level