tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 15 06:41:05 1994

Re: qep'a'

On Fri, 15 Jul 1994, Heidi Wessman wrote:
> Okay.  Here's my questions:
>
> (I welcome everyone to answer these questions.)
>
> 1.  How many people attended?

Qanqor, trI'Qal, ~mark, Holtej (d'Armond), charghwI', Sarah Ekstrom (and
Jay who I don't believe any of you know), Kevin Wilson (but he had to
leave real early and missed most of it), me, and Lawrence Schoen.  The
first night members of a local ship attended the dinner and one of them
also hung around Tuesday.  Discounting the people that just came for
dinner, that makes 11.  At one point during poQ'ar (poker) there were 8
of us playing.  I believe there were 8 at the closing ceremonies as well,
but you'll have to ask someone that stayed 'till the end.

> 2.  Where exactly was it held?

A Best Western in Philly.

> 3.  How much did it cost?

The room cost me $150 or so (I had a roommate).  Travel (being the furthest
located attendee and driving by car) cost about $60.  I probably spent
$30 on food.  Plus $20 for the opening banquet.  I lost $5 at poQ'ar.  I
donated $20 to the KLI to cover costs.  And I think that was it.  That's
almost $300 total, but that includes transportation, room, and food.
I've spent more than that going to a convention before.

> 4.  What were the activities?

Lawrence tried to make an agenda, but mostly we wandered around
aimlessly, doing whatever we felt like at the moment.  There were a lot
of impromptu discussions about tlhIngan and other languages, as well as
discussions in tlhIngan.  We sat around in the pool doing nothing a
couple of times.  Some of us went out to Bennegin's for lunch one day (a
waitress came to our table saying, "I have got to see this," and the
waiter did a good job of taking our orders in tlhIngan).  We spent a lot
of time with the media.  There was the dinner on Monday.  Is that a good
enough answer?

> 5.  What did you like the most?

Meeting everybody and speaking more tlhIngan.

> 6.  What did you dislike the most?

The media (repeat after me, "The Media are our friends!").  I also wish I
had spoken more tlhIngan, but it was so easy to slip back into English,
and so time consuming to look things up.

> 7.  What would you recommend for next Kling-Fling?

Make sure Krankor's there (he'll get people speaking tlhIngan whether
they want to or not).  Plan well in advance so more people can attend.
Get the hotel to reserve a block of rooms that are near each other (my
room was almost a block away from trI'Qal's).  If you plan activities,
provide a word list for people to use so that they learn more tlhIngan
while doing it (ask Krankor about his poQ'ar words).  Change as little as
possible, this one was great!

> 8.  WHat would you like to be avoided at a Kling-Fling?

Beginners classes.  Glen's Camp is for beginners.  Or we could have a
separate beginners meeting.  It was nice having everyone already know the
basic grammar.  I don't mind doing a beginners thing (teaching at the
camp was fun), but I liked spending time with people at a higher level.
Also, I would like to continue to avoid a rigid schedule.  We were free
and relaxed and were able to choose our own activities, yet still
improved our tlhIngan.

Well, that was simple.  Any more questions?

janSIy

Back to archive top level