tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 09 21:05:42 1994

Re: lenu mi siskytadni cu mulno/ rIn jIQulmeH Qu'.

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Heidi Wessman jay'?

=On Fri, 8 Jul 1994, jatlhpu' Nick NICHOLAS:

=> Lojbanists and Klingonists, I am happy to announce that my Master's thesis,
=> _Problems in the Application of Rhetorical Structure Theory to Text
=> Generation_, has finally been completed.

=> Translations in Lojban and Klingon follow.
=> [Lojban]
=> {tlhIngan}

=Congratulations!  However, I will admit I could only understand the
=English and the Klingon versions.  But I'm impressed.  Could you tell be
=more about Lojban?

Ah, yes! ;)

How to describe it? Well, in Trekkie terms, Lojban is a Vulcan's dream. It's
a language based on formal logic, and as far as linguistic features are
concerned, it's got the kitchen sink. It's not necessarily difficult to
learn (at least, the *basics* aren't), but it can get rather pedantic, by
natural language standards. For example, you can't say "I caused the disaster";
you have to say "my action caused the fact that the disaster happened"; not
"the TV said", but "the television network was the medium for someone to say
that".

Lojban is very instructive about language in a way quite different to Klingon.
To subscribe to their mailing list ([email protected]), I think
you send "subscribe your_name lojban" to listserv at the same address. The
FTP site for Lojban (chock-a-block with goodies) is at ra.cs.yale.edu; they
also have a WWW site in Finland that's doing good business.

Nick.

Back to archive top level