tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 06 09:41:24 1994

DaqDaq?

yI'Ij!  "DaqDaq?" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: ur-valhalla!ctr.columbia.edu!shoulson (Mark E. Shoulson)

 >From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>

 >> Okay, I've run into a problem.  I want to translate the phrase "May
 >> you die slowly in bed."  mu'qaD veS, naturally.
 >>
 >> QongDaqDaq QIt jIHeghjaj

 >QIt QongDaqDaq bIHeghjaj

 >I don't see anything wrong with using {QongDaqDaq}.  After all,
 >{QongDaq} can be seen as a compound noun (taking Okrand's perogative to use
>verbs as nouns) as "sleeping | location." Since {Daq} is a noun,
 >you're free to use it as such!

 Uu> Well, we needn't worry too much about using Okrandian perogatives;
 Uu> "QongDaq" is given to us as a noun in CK, meaning "bed".

This is a case where I felt it better to ask.  I was concerned whether QongDaq
was a complex noun, or a noun+locative suffix.  Now that I think about it, it
is obviously the former, and also Qong is then a verb AND a noun.

 >Watch out for your prefixes!  You said, "may I slowly die...."

 Uu> Got to be careful there...

lu'!  HoH'egh vIneHbe'!

Qob

... to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj