tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 06 09:41:23 1994

DaqDaq?

yI'Ij!  "DaqDaq?" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: d'Armond Speers <ur-valhalla!guvax.acc.georgetown.edu!SPEERS>

 > Okay, I've run into a problem.  I want to translate the phrase "May
 > you die slowly in bed."  mu'qaD veS, naturally.
 >
 > QongDaqDaq QIt jIHeghjaj
 Uu>
 Uu> QIt QongDaqDaq bIHeghjaj

The adverbial *always* goes first?  Maybe I got confused, but 6.7 in the TKD
Addendum says that the abverbial preceedes the o-v-s construction, and other
elements can preceed it.  "Most commonly, this is a time element..." but it
doesn't rule out other constructions.

 Uu> I don't see anything wrong with using {QongDaqDaq}.  After all,
 Uu> {QongDaq} can be seen as a compound noun (taking Okrand's perogative
 Uu> to use  verbs as nouns) as "sleeping | location." Since {Daq} is a
 Uu> noun,  you're free to use it as such!

toH!  I forgot that Daq was also a noun - I always think of the suffix -Daq.
majQa'!

 Uu> Watch out for your prefixes!  You said, "may I slowly die...."

va!  Umm...  reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS!

Okay, you got me.  I'll be more careful in the future.

Qob

... 'IH jaj, qar'a'

Back to archive top level