tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 06 06:12:03 1994

The Victory of the Hunter

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 09:52:28 -0700 (PDT)

>>>aliens is pluralized with -mey, to be insulting to their
>>>intelligence, and to give the idea of there being a LOT of them
>>>as in a big ship.

>>Well, "-mey" plurals don't insult intelligence, nor even imply
>>necessarily a lot.  It just means they're scattered about.

>Well, I still like novmey... aliens with the implication they are
>not intelligent enough to speak... dirtball aliens.  I'll call it
>poetic license, and leave it that way.

For poetic license, OK.  But in general let it be said again: using the
non-sentient suffixes instead of the sentient ones only means insult with
the possessives!  It is *NOT* an insult to talk of "tera'nganmey".  Not at
all.  Like, not even a little bit.  It just means they're all over the
place.

Let's take a look at the new version...

>==========================

>yay wamwI'  (The Victory of the Hunter)

Still got the title backwards.  Remember, when you're trying to use a
noun-noun construction, pretend there's an "'s" after the first word and
read it in order.  I have the same problem; Hebrew does its noun-noun the
other way too.  This is "victory's hunter", which is a nice title... of a
different poem.

>logh'a' HurghghachDaq,

Huh!  Let Glen say you can use "Hurgh" as a noun here!  That's "pickle"!

>ghorta'law chachaj,

using "ghor" intransitively here... Hmm, possibly shaky, considering that
Klingon probably draws a sharp line between transitives and intransivites
(evidenced by the existence of "-moH"), but possibly okay.  I can't think
of evidence one way or the other, but it's late...

Much better.  And very very nice reading indeed!

~mark

Back to archive top level