tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 00:25:53 1994

miscellaneous stuff

>From: [email protected] (Amy West)
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 94 22:12:20 PST

>Where time periods are concerned, I think we do have an example of
>how to say "short".  On CK there's the expression, {lenHom} used for
>"short break".  Couldn't this also be used with {poH}?
>{poHHom} = brief/short period of time.  Wouldn't this also work with
>physical objects as well?  {pu'Hom} = small phaser.  Granted, it doesn't
>specifically refer to *length*.

Yes and no.  You're right that we have "-Hom", and that'll work for lots of
situations, but somehow I don't think that a diminuative ending is really
enough to replace a verb/adjective.  We have "nI'" and which aren't
overshadowed by "-'a'", and most other languages with
diminuatives/augmentitives still find time for separate words.  Still, for
some things "-Hom" works, but I don't think for everything.  On the other
hand, we do have "mach", which may simply be broader in meaning and handle
"short" as well.

~mark

Back to archive top level