tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 01:08:56 1994

Re: miscellaneous stuff

On Jan 28,  1:31pm, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> Subject: miscellaneous stuff
[on using -Hom to carry the meaning of "short time period"]:
> ...You're right that we have "-Hom", and that'll work for lots of
> situations, but somehow I don't think that a diminuative ending is really
> enough to replace a verb/adjective.  We have "nI'" and which aren't
> overshadowed by "-'a'", and most other languages with
> diminuatives/augmentitives still find time for separate words.  Still, for
> some things "-Hom" works, but I don't think for everything.  On the other
> hand, we do have "mach", which may simply be broader in meaning and handle
> "short" as well.
>
> ~mark

     I think I remember you offering an example of Okrand using {-be'} on a
verb being used adjectivally in canon (one of the audio tapes). Adding that
to the {-qu'} that TKD says we can use, we then have the following adjectival
forms for duration:

nI'qu'         very long
nI'            long
nI'qu'be'      not very long (medium)
nI'be'         not long (short)
nI'be'qu'      very not long (very short)

     Shouldn't that be ENOUGH?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level