tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 28 05:00:52 1994

taglines

>From: [email protected] (David Barron)
>Date: Sat, 26 Feb 1994 10:20:00 -0700 (MST)

I was going to wait on these, since there were so many, but charghwI'
started, so I might as well mention some things too.

>batlh DavI'be' Dalmo' jagh DaHoHchugh
>*There is no honor in boring an enemy to death.

charghwI' is right, this doesn't work too well.  "If your enemy dies
because you bore him..." is a good recasting, yes.

>be'ngev'eghqangwI' ghaH
>*She's a whore.

charghwI''s recasting of this verbally is much better.  Moreover, I don't
like the gratuitous "be'" on the front.  If you mean "A woman who is
willing to sell herself", that's "ngev'eghqangbogh be'".  Throwing the
subject on the front of a compound there doesn't really work for me at all.

>bIngSuSDaq reH Qamjaj targhlIj
>*May your Targ always stand down wind!

Actually, this doesn;t work as well for me as for charghwI'.  Leaving aside
the fact that "downwind" as "bIng" is a translation of an idiopm which may
not work, "in the downside of the wind" is "SuS bIngDaq".  Someone decided
to translate word-for-word; this doesn't work.  Shouldn't reH come first?

>bIngyopwaHwIj yISop
>*Eat my shorts!

Similarly, this doesn't work for idiomatic reasons, as charghwI' said.

>bIr jabchugh nIvbogh nay' 'oH bortaS'e'
>*Revenge is a dish best served cold.

No, Okrand didn't say it this way, and I'm glad.  This is a little too
strange.

>bIrchoH tera'nganchabwij
>*My human pie is getting cold!

Hee.  I think "bIrchoHlI'" would be the ideal aspect for the verb here.
That's what "-lI'" is for: it's in the process of becoming cold.

>bIyInjaj nI' 'ej bIchepjaj
>*Live long and prosper.

Ugh.  The "nI'" has no place here.  My own personal translation for this
has long been word-for-word what charghwI' posted: nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej
bIchepjaj.  I won't do that word-order switcheroo unless Okrand says I have
to.

>DaH bItuQHa'moHegh Deanna 'ej bIQot...
>*Deanna, take off your clothes now, and lie down...

Yeah, this is a statement, not a command.  But charghwI' forgot to make the
second sentence a command in his correction.  Wups.

>Deghmey? Deghmey DIghajnISbe' maH jay'!
>*Badges?  We don't need no @^%$! badges!

Yeah, the "maH" ios redundant, but it's okay for emphasis here: WE don't
need no stinking badges (you might, but we don't)...

>Doch luQoy DaneHbe'chugh, yIjatlhQo'.
>*If you do not wish a thing to be heard, do not say it.

Um, charghwI', just about *all* cases of "-lu'" have an explicit verb
object.  That's what "-lu'" is for.  "naDev tlhInganpu' tu'lu'" has
"tlhInganpu'" as the object, etc.  I, too, would have used "Qoylu'", for my
own style, but that doesn't make this wrong.

>loghDaq, bIrSuvwI'pu' chaH Hoch SuvwI'pu''e'
>*In space, all warriors are cold warriors.

I'd have recast this like charghwI' did.  This way is clunky.

>Hovmey So'be' bIngDaq rInbogh Hoch Dochmey luqawlu'
>*All things done beneath the naked stars are remembered..

I'd have stuck with just "Hoch"; "?Hoch Dochmey" or as I'd prefer "Dochmey
Hoch", is redundant.  Maybe "rInwI' Hoch".

>Human bIneH'qu'eghchoHjaj
>*May you WISH to beome human!

Yeah, thius is icky.  It needs something with "moj".  Human Damoj DaneHjaj
or something.  In any case, there prefix is wrong in the example.

>jabwI' qaghwIjDaq ghew puvwI'
>*Waiter, there's a fly in my qagh.

This sentence no verb!  "jabwI', qaghwIjDaq ghew *tu'lu'*".  Klingon's not
like Russian or Hebrew, you need that verb, and that's just what tu'lu' is
for.

>jat HoH taj
>*The blade kills the tongue.

I like this one.

>jItlhob'egh, bIHeghneH jaj QaQ 'oH'a' DaHjaj'e'
>*Ask yourself, is today a good day to die?

Should be "yItlhob'egh.  Should be bIHeghmeH.  And Klingon has no indirect
quotes, so it should be "jIHeghmeH".  And in any case, I'd probably cast it
as "yItlhob'egh: DaHjaj'e' jIHegh vIneH'a'?"  Ask youself: is it today
that I want to die?  Or maybe "HeghwIj jaj 'oH DaHjaj'e' vIneH'a'?" Do I
want today to be the day of my dying?

>jIQub vaj jIwuQ
>*I think, therefore I have a headache.

Like this one.

>joH'a'pu' chaHchugh, QaHQo' chaH, 'ej ruv lughaj HoSwI'pu'.
>*If there are gods, they do not help, and justice belongs to
>* the strong.

I'd prefer tu'lu'chugh.  pronoun-verbs are coplas, indicating equivalence,
*not* existence.

>lo'laHbe' Heghpu'bogh Doch
>*A dead thing is without value.

Heghpu'wI' sounds better.

>lujDI' Hoch, naDev bIngpIp yIlan
>*When all else fails, place your butt here.

Maybe pIp HeH or pIp bIng?  I dn't trust that compound, it looks at least
the wrong way 'round.

>nuqDaq yuch
>*Where's the chocolate?

This sentence no verb.  nuqDaq 'oH yuch'e' or nuqDaq yuch tu'lu'.

>poHmeyDaq Dajbogh SoH bIyInjaj
>*May you live in interesting times.

Bleah, I don't like "-Daq" for time.  And we have the canon against it.
Also, in any case, it'd have to be poHmey DajDaq, if you're using the Daj
as an adjective.  If it deserves that -bogh, then it's taking SoH as the
subject... not what you wanted.  Don't see the point of the explicit SoH
here.  qaStaHvIS poH Daj bIyInjaj.  Sopunds more like a blessing than a
curse for a Klingon!

>poHvo' cuch peD je maghoS
>*We come from a land of ice and snow...

peD is a verb!  Believe it or not.

>qagh: nIQvaD 'oHtaHbe' neH!
>*gagh: it isn't just for breakfast any more!

nIQvaD neH 'oHtaHbe' sounds better.

>qamDu'majDaq Hegh qaq law' qIvDu'majDaq yIn qaq puS
>*Dying on our feet is better than living on our knees!

Should be QaQ in both places, right?

>qaS g'dayt...  qaSbejqu' g'dayt
>*Shit happens...  Shit most definietly happens.

g'dayt?  wtf?

>qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjIaH qetbogh loD
>*Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.

That's SIjlaH.

>qoS Quch DatIv @FN@! jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj!
>*Have a Happy Birthday, @FN@!  May you scare your enemies!

I always liked DuQuchmoHjaj qoSlIj; you can fit that into the melody.

>QIpwI'Hom nga'chuq wIrI'neS Hoch!
>*All do the honor of hailing TFLT!

I believe "nga'chuq" takes its actors both as the subject.... In any case,
I still can't make sense of this sentence.

>Qoylu'taH DaneHbe'chugh Dajatlhbe'
>*If you do not wish something to be heard, do not say it.

First one was better, there's no negative on the first word, it's not a
command...

>ravDaq jIDIngtaH 'ej jIHaghtaH!
>*Rolling on the floor laughing!

I always liked "ravDaq noghtaHvIS Hagh <person>"

>rIHwI'mey, pol jaHtaH, 'ej jaHtaH, 'ej jaHtaH...
>*Energizers, they keep going, and going, and going...

"pol"!?  What's that doing here?  It's a verb, not a... whatever the
English is using it as.  Qap is a better verb than jaH here.  Someone did
the word-for-word thing again.

>SoSlI'!
>*Your mother!

Sniff. I still like SoSlIj.  And it';s correct.

>taghDaq chal yav je chenmoHta' joH'a'
>* In the beginning, God created the heavens and earth.

Not only is this -Daq on temporal stuff, but tagh isn't a noun!  Maybe
taghDI' Hoch, when everything began...

>toH!  SubveQmIwlI'ghachDaq bIvumba'.
>*So!  You obviously work in Solid Waste Processing!

Yuck.  Who needs that icky compound?  It doesn't make much sense either.
Sub should come after veQ; it's a verb and we don't  have much info about
putting nouns and verbs together in compounds...  Um, maybe "veQ Sub
DamIwba'".

>tughbe' qajatlh
>*I'll talk to you later.

tughbe'???  I don't think noun suffixes on adverbs works.

>verenganpu' yIvoqtaHQo'
>*I don't trust Ferengis.

Not a bad sentence, but the translation's wrong.  It';s a command.

>wej jIcheghbej.
>*I'll be back.

"wej"?  Not sure how it';s being used here.

>wo' vItoy'qangneS; wo' kuve jIHbe'
>*I serve the Empire; I am not the Empire's Servitor.

"kuve"?  Sounds like Klingonaase...

>yap!  nujlI' yISoQmoH, Ha'DibaH!
>*Enough!  Shut your mouth, animal!

nujlIj.  Just because it's the organ of speach doesn't mean it uses
language.

>yIjegh pagh bIHegh!
>*Surrender or die!

I sorta like this better than the canonical one, but hey, who are we to
determine the idiom?

Hope that was fun...

~mark

Back to archive top level