tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 28 09:42:29 1994

Scout law /translation

~markvo':

>vIparHa'bej, Amy.  batlh bImughta'.  loQ qaQeS vIneH...
>
>>nejwI' 'Ip
>
>>quvwIjmo', joH'a'vaD 'ej puHwIjvaD Qu'wIj vIta' 'e' nIDbej
>                                                     ^^^^
>Should be "vInIDbej".  I like the quvwIjmo', but it should be
>"joH'a'vaD puHwIjvaD je".

I wasn't sure about that, so I took a guess.

>>nejwI' chut vIlob; qaStaHvIS Hoch poH, latlh nuvpu' vIQaH;
>
>I like "nejwI'" for scout.  Clever.  qaStaHvIS Hoch poH (I'd have
>said poH Hoch) is okay, but awfully longwinded.  You need a word
>that you're probably kicking yourself for missing: reH (always).

Guess I didn't have adverbials in mind.

>Maybe "latlhpu'" would work well for "others"?  After all, "latlh"
>isn't a verb or an adjective like it is in English.
>
>>porgh HoS, yab ghuS, DataH lugh je vIleH.
>
>Not sure "ghuS" is just the right word; it means "ready to launch",
>like a missile.  A nice image, but maybe not the idea one.  Hmm...
>something with "ta'rup", ready to act?  Nah...  ghuH is a noun (now
>there's a weird one, since we have "ghuHmoH" as a verb!)...  I'll

ghuH is a verb also.. I didn't notice it at first.
As a verb it can also mean "prepare for, be alerted" So I think
that's OK.

>think about it.  I assume you meant "DataHghach" or something?  It

Yep..

>ought to be a noun.  You could say "batlh jIDataH", but that would

I prefer an adjective.. There doesn't seem to be a way to say
"honorable".  "correct behavior" as in "do the right thing" is
good enough I think..

>break up the parallelism.  Or you could recast the whole phrase that
>way.  "leH" is okay for what you're using it for, I think.
>maj
>~mark

charghwI'vo':

>     Okay, so I'll pick another nit. In your first sentence, {nID}
>and {lob} are both main verbs with no reason for both being in the
>same sentence. The problem is that the English sentence has a lot of
>sentences crammed into it. My preference is to avoid the temptation
>of turning a bad English sentence into a bad Klingon sentence.

To break up the English into separate sentences you would have
to put "I will do my best to..." at the beginning of each one.
The oath is a list of things that the Scout is promising to do
their best to do (meaning, I guess, that they can't promise to
be perfect).

OK, so maybe as a list it can be like this:

quvwIjmo', Dochmeyvam vIta' 'e' vInIDbej:
joH'a'vaD puHwIjvaD je Qu'wIj
nejwI' chut vIlob
reH latlhpu' vIQaH
porgh HoS, yab ghuH, DataHghach lugh je vIleH

I think Dave tried to do it as a list as well.

Amy

[email protected]

Back to archive top level