tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 03:35:24 1994

Re: nuqneH

>     It is more the case that the word "purpose" is really meaningless unless
>it has a reference. An act has a purpose toward some manner of goal. See the
>{-meH} verb suffix TKD 4.2.9. It means something close to "... for the
>purpose that this action take place..." As for meaning, my suspicion is that
>Klingons are generally somewhat Existentialist by nature. Things don't need
>"meaning". They just ARE. Deal with it.

Hmmmm... they don't even have a word for "to be", so I don't see how
they could be Existentialist, at least actively.  They could of course
just say "I never gave it much thought".  I forgot the name of the episode
(again) with Kahles (spelling?) and it seemed as if meaning was an
important concept.  I can't buy that it was all idiomatic use of
English by Klingons.  There aren't any words fir worship and ritual,
but they do have religion, and do practice rituals.

I would imagine that for a Klingon purpose and batlh go together.
The direction one needs to go to find honor would work.

Rob Lent

Back to archive top level