tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 17 03:57:45 1994

KLBC- Vocab. vs. Syntax

        Reply to:   KLBC- Vocab. vs. Syntax

ghItlh Rob Lent:

> I think syntax is more important than building a vocabulary from memory.
> With the syntax, you can say whatever you want to, you just need to
> flip through the dictionary until you find what you need.

Well, it may be dependent on what kind of person you are, but I personally
find it frustrating to have to look up each and every word I don't know.
It's time consuming and annoying.  I've found that there are some common
words that are good to memorize (I memorize about 10 a day).  Syntax
should be a one time shot.  Once you've understand it, you know it.  Like
the OVS syntax and how nouns take suffixes.  There's just more words
to memorize than syntax (MANY more!)

> With just vocabulary, you don't know how to structure the words.

And without words, you don't know what to do with the syntax :)
wa'Dich tIv nuq? ghargh lam ghap

> I've tried to interpret some of the Klingon I have seen here, and
> it is frustrating because I can't find all of the words in the
> dictionary.  I have the newest edition.

Most of the words are their, but you have a group of pretty smart people
here who know how to put nouns together with a flair of creativity.  Other
words have been taken from PK and CK and even from Dr. Okrand himself
(try getting back issues of HolQeD!)

> Rob LentneS

-mat

Back to archive top level