tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 22:18:20 1994

Re: nuqneH

On Feb 15,  2:07am, [email protected] wrote:
> Subject: nuqneH
>
> nuqneH! I just discovered the Klingon language list...

     Good. The path before you is long and potentially profitable.
> I could find no word for purpose or meaning.  Is it a case that
> such concepts do not exist in Klingon, or is it merely that
> they haven't made it in the dictionary.

     It is more the case that the word "purpose" is really meaningless unless
it has a reference. An act has a purpose toward some manner of goal. See the
{-meH} verb suffix TKD 4.2.9. It means something close to "... for the
purpose that this action take place..." As for meaning, my suspicion is that
Klingons are generally somewhat Existentialist by nature. Things don't need
"meaning". They just ARE. Deal with it.

> SoH bang jIH
> jIH bang SoH

     I remember waaaay back when I thought {bang} could be used as a verb. It
is refreshing to see someone else make that error now. It makes me nostalgic.
There is no explicit verb for "love" in Klingon. Our distinguished Captain
chooses {muSHa'}. My own preference is to look at the context, given that I
believe the English usage of "love" has become so vague as to be meaningless
without context. Depending on what I sense to be the meaning in a specific
setting, I'll use {muSHa', parHa'qu', neH, neHnIS, nga', SaHqu'} and probably
other words if a context doesn't fit one of these very well.

     A friend once sang love songs replacing the word "love" with "glove" and
the songs usually came out making at LEAST as much sense in the new form as
the old one. "Just an old fashioned glove song... my glove for you... our
glove will live forever... "

charghwI'

Back to archive top level