tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 30 21:45:01 1994

Re: Adams Family Motto:

On Jan 30,  7:48am, Nick NICHOLAS wrote [and charghwI' replies]:
> Subject: Re: Addams Family Motto:
>
> choja', Will Martin (va, jIDochnIS! ;):

{va}? What does this word mean?

> =               nucharghta' luneHbogh DISopmo' maQuch
>
> I did wait, but given noone else has corrected this: there is no head noun
> to your relative phrase.

     Good point. We've discussed relative clauses with head nouns as subject
or object of the verb and determining which noun is head when the {-bogh}
verb has both an explicit subject and object. Given that the non-head noun
can be assumed in the verb prefix, I made that extra (and erronious)
extention that the head noun could be described by the prefix as well. Thank
you for the correction.

> Either
>                nucharghta' luneHbogh ghot DISopmo' maQuch
>
> or
>                nucharghta' luneHwI' DISopmo' maQuch

     The first one looks good. The second one looks like bad grammar. When
you nominalize {luneH}, you no longer have a justification for attaching
{nucharghta'} to this sentence. The implied {'e'} no longer fits and the
grammar falls to pieces. Is there something going on here that escapes me?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level