tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 03 13:04:52 1994

Re: Adams Family Motto:

ghItlh nIchyon:
> nucharghqangwI' wISopchu'mo', maQuch.

What on Kronos is that prefix doing there? A prefix with {-wI'}???
I've asked about that before, I had wondered if I might say {nughojmoHwI'}
rather than {ghojmoHwI'ma'} if we don't actually own the teacher. I dunno. It
might take some getting used to, but using {-wI'} in this way seems another
useful feature of Klingon that really hasn't been used to the full potential
yet, being equivalent to {-bogh}, but not requiring a head noun of any sort.

So, in that line of thinking, here is "He who laughs, lasts," in my original
translation and in this new alternative:

{taH Haghbogh ghaH}
{taH HaghwI'}

Hmmm, I still like the former. It sounds more rhythmic. But for all practical
purposes, they're both perfectly grammatical. Altho, {-wI'} used with a
prefix just might not cut it. What thinks our grammarian?

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level