tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 21 14:13:20 1994

Re: Klingon in mainstream press again

>From: Jeremy Cowan <[email protected]>

>Thought the list might enjoy this.  A friend of mine is teaching his
>child Klingon.  The child consistently calls him vavoy and the other day,
>while I was on the phone with him, I heard his child yell, "ghobe',
>ghobe', ghobe'!"

Hmm.  Interesting.  Particularly since I've been working on being careful
when I use each of the two Klingon words that come into English as "No."
Yes, there are two.

Consider these two mini-discussions:

"Has Krankor read the book?"  "No, he didn't read it yet."

"Sit over here."  "No, I'll sit iver here."

I'd translate the first as "paq laDpu''a' Qanqor?"  "ghobe', wej laD."

The second should be "naDev yIba'" "Qo', naDev jIba'."

Note that "Qo'" is the answer of "No" when you're told or asked to do
somethning.  "ghobe'" is factual contradiction.  I think this is good
usage, and encourage it.  Try it out!

>janSIy  }}:+D>

~mark

Back to archive top level