tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 06:33:10 1994

Re: KLBC: Noun phrase comparatives

>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 21:09:39 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Craig Altenburg)

>>According to charghwI'
>>Well, even with {yu'}, it doesn't work. While it does mean
>>"question", it is a verb, not a noun.

>Qu'vatlh, I don't have my HolQeD with me so I cannot cite anthing
>specific, but I though I understood from the "<-ghach>" interview with
>Okrand that we could use most verbs as nouns (without <-ghach>ing them).

>If not specificly stated, this would surely be implied from the comment
>that a bare stem with <-ghach> is a marked form.

In TKD: "It is not known if all verbs can be used as nouns."

In HolQeD: "I wouldn't be surprised to find nouns identical to the verb
forms that no one has seen yet, I'm sure there's more.  But I'm not
prepared to say that any verb is a noun and any noun is a verb."

Sounds to me like he's pretty adamant that you can't casually noun your
verbs, unless you have access to an informant Okrand himself doesn't know
about.  I don't see how bare verb+ghach being marked implies that bare
verbs must therefore be nouns.

>>charghwI'
>>
>Qeygh

~mark