tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 15 09:20:13 1994

Re: KLBC: Noun phrase comparatives

According to Craig Altenburg:

> >According to charghwI'
> >Well, even with {yu'}, it doesn't work. While it does mean
> >"question", it is a verb, not a noun.
>
> Qu'vatlh, I don't have my HolQeD with me so I cannot cite anthing
> specific, but I though I understood from the "<-ghach>" interview with
> Okrand that we could use most verbs as nouns (without <-ghach>ing them).

NO.

Glen Proechel promotes this theory, but it was explicitly
denied in the interview with Okrand, and is explicitly denied
in TKD: "...it is not known if all verbs can be used as
nouns..." Okrand is the only person who can declare any verb
also function as a noun.

> If not specificly stated, this would surely be implied from the comment
> that a bare stem with <-ghach> is a marked form.

Not at all. Down that path goes chaos. In complex sentences, it
is already challenging enough to deal with the noun/verb words
we already have. To open the gates to using any verb as a noun
is to trash the clarity of the language.

In my humble opinion.

> >charghwI'
> >
> Qeygh

charghwI'