tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 14 04:01:56 1994

Re: Abbridged Klingon Dictionary

> Having said this, I don't think I would recommend that anyone run off an
> publish a book that compeats with TKD.  We have been enriched by this language
> that Marc as brought us and I believe that he should enjoy the fruit$ of
> his labor.

It'd be wrong to publish something, but making something privately
available would be different.

> Comments? <no flames please>
>
> >The bottom line is YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN AKD.
>
> It's still a good idea.  You tend to learn thing better if you are
> forced to write them out yourself.

I agree with the sentiment, but some of us don't have the time or
facilities to 'acquire' the extra grammar and vocabulary. I don't have
the money to get all the back issues of HolQed, especially not just to
get the extra words, and it really annoys me to see people saying "I've
got this cool new AKD, but you can't get a copy - go make your own one,
and if you can't, bed luck". I'm not saying that anyone is, but i feel
that it might not do any harm to make something available to people who
want it. It's fine to recommend that people do their own, but some folks
will want to get a 'finished' copy.

Also, if they are made available, different people's versions (say
David's and charghwI''s) can be compared and bugs ironed out - there is
no reason why we can't have a List version available - after all, the
point of the list is to *aid* learning the language. The AKD could
always take the form of an *addition* to TKD, so that people still need
that.

And if I do have to go and make my own version up, I'd like to have
something to compare it to eventually - there's no point me doing it if
I have no idea of how I've done.

> >charghwI' has some other ideas for his AKD and you might ask him to
> >elaborate if you like.

Yes, please!

{qSeroHS vayn} - who just wants a complete vocabulary available and
doesn't mind where it comes from.
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level