tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 14 06:06:09 1994

Re: negative angle

Okay, THIS is why I make no presumptions as to what "be at a
negative angle" means:

I can only interpret "negative" to be a reference to some form
of measurement of an angle. We don't know how Klingons measure
angles. Could it mean "downward" in the sense of 360 degrees
measured up from forward, counting up to 180 degrees and there
meeting a negative scale starting at the same point, counting
from zero to -180 degrees? If so, could it also mean "toward
the left", assuming a horizontal measurement from dead ahead
counting 0 to 180 degrees toward the right and 0 to -180
degrees toward the left?

Or maybe forward is not the vector of origin. Maybe downward
is, and maybe there is some kind of compass reading. Perhaps it
is like Federation coordinate readings with the ray of origin
going from the ship to the center of the nearest galaxy.

In short, we have no context for this word and the definition
is far too vague to be useful. So far as I am concerned, it
merely uses up a potential letter combination and a couple
lines in TKD and is otherwise useless.

charghwI'
--

 \___