tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 13 10:32:32 1994

Re: Abbridged Klingon Dictionary

David Barron wrote:
>NOTE TO ALL
>The Abbridged Klingon DIctionary is a personal project and not for sale
>because it is a bunch of copywrited material.

This raises a point that I have not seen addressed on the list.  I am not
a copyright lawyer, but it's my understanding that under U.S. copyright law
one cannot copyright a language.  If this is true then there should be no
legal problem with anyone publishing a Klingon dictionary or a book on
Klingon grammar. It would still, however, be unlawful to publish a direct
copy of TKD.

Having said this, I don't think I would recommend that anyone run off an
publish a book that compeats with TKD.  We have been enriched by this language
that Marc as brought us and I believe that he should enjoy the fruit$ of
his labor.

Comments? <no flames please>

>The bottom line is YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN AKD.

It's still a good idea.  You tend to learn thing better if you are
forced to write them out yourself.

>charghwI' has some other ideas for his AKD and you might ask him to
>elaborate if you like.
>
>pItlh
>
>David Barron
>
>--
>David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
>   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup
>    P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616         || yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
>IT'S FREE!!! Send S.A.S.E (Not available by e-mail so don't ask!)

Why not?

Qeygh

Back to archive top level