tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 13 13:55:03 1994

Re: Abbridged Klingon Dictionary

> David Barron wrote:
> >NOTE TO ALL
> >The Abbridged Klingon DIctionary is a personal project and not for sale
> >because it is a bunch of copywrited material.
>
> This raises a point that I have not seen addressed on the list.  I am not
> a copyright lawyer, but it's my understanding that under U.S. copyright law
> one cannot copyright a language.  If this is true then there should be no
> legal problem with anyone publishing a Klingon dictionary or a book on
> Klingon grammar. It would still, however, be unlawful to publish a direct
> copy of TKD.

I would live to get an OFFICIAL responce from any lawyer-types on this
subject.

> Having said this, I don't think I would recommend that anyone run off an
> publish a book that compeats with TKD.  We have been enriched by this language
> that Marc as brought us and I believe that he should enjoy the fruit$ of
> his labor.

I agree.

>>David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
>>   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup
>>    P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616         || yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
>>IT'S FREE!!! Send S.A.S.E (Not available by e-mail so don't ask!)

>Why not?

Good question.

I don't do the course by email for several reasons.

1) It doesnt fit my life style. Inspite of what my wife might believe,
i dont want to spend my life in front of a computer screen.

2) Mail takes more effort than email for my students that means they
are willing to put in the work. I respect that.

3) A postal course *AND* an e-mail course? NO!!! Too much!!! My brain would
hurt.

If someone really WANTS to teach the course via e-mail I will mail then
to him/her/ghaH and they can turn it into  e-mail.  Someone once said they
were going to do it but I have never heard from them
again....no follow threw I guess

So...if you want to be a LEADER in the tlhIngan Hol community you might
want to consider becoming the tlhIngan Hol e-mail instructor.  it would
require alot of commitment and a fair bit of time....think about it.

--
David Barron || [email protected]  ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
   Klingon Language Postal Course       ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup
    P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616         || yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
IT'S FREE!!! Send S.A.S.E (Not available by e-mail so don't ask!)

Back to archive top level