tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 14:26:22 1994

Re: KLBC: a lesson

On Mon, 12 Dec 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> According to R.B Franklin:

> > An exception to the rule is that nouns with the type 5 suffix {-'e'} may
> > come before the adverbial.
>
> Oh? Can you site a rule or canon example to back up this
> suggestion? Nick was using {-'e'} in this way, pulling up
> examples from other languages that use topicalizers, but
> nothing that I can remember from Okrand has made this useage
> clearly applicable to Klingon.

It's from Section 6.7.  I wasn't referring to all nouns, just the object
of the sentence.  It appears that when the direct object takes the
{-'e'} suffix, it comes before the adverbial.  From reading the text of
that section, I think the accompanying example contains a typo.  I think
it should be {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam}.  In this case the object (HaqwI''e')
precedes the adverbial (DaH).

> > yoDtargh
>
> charghwI'

yoDtargh