tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 12:38:59 1994

Re: KLBC: a lesson

According to R.B Franklin:

> I think time related nouns come before the adverbial (Sec 6.7).

Good point. I naturally tend to do it that way, but did not
remember this reference (since it is in the appendix). Still,
the wording in 6.7 does not sound like this is a hard and fast
rule. "It is possible for an element of another type to preceed
the adverb. Most commonly, this is a time element..."

It sounds like he is saying that it is OKAY to put the time
element in front of the adverb. While I personally like it this
way, I can't really read this and be convinced that it MUST be
this way.

> It also appears to me that canon indicates adverbials come before
> nouns with type 5 suffixes: reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iw ghargh Datu'jaj.
> (May you always find a bloodworm in your glass.)

While this is an excellent example, again I don't see this cast
in stone. He never offers a rule to exclude other possible
sequences of these context-setting elements. Still, I agree
that this is generally good style. It makes for very readable
sentences.

> An exception to the rule is that nouns with the type 5 suffix {-'e'} may
> come before the adverbial.

Oh? Can you site a rule or canon example to back up this
suggestion? Nick was using {-'e'} in this way, pulling up
examples from other languages that use topicalizers, but
nothing that I can remember from Okrand has made this useage
clearly applicable to Klingon.

> yoDtargh

charghwI'
--