tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 13 05:15:04 1994

Re: KLBC: a lesson

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Mon, 12 Dec 1994, William H. Martin wrote:
>
> > According to R.B Franklin:
>
> > > An exception to the rule is that nouns with the type 5 suffix {-'e'} may
> > > come before the adverbial.
> >
> > Oh? Can you site a rule or canon example to back up this
> > suggestion?...
>
> It's from Section 6.7.  I wasn't referring to all nouns, just the object
> of the sentence.

Ahhh. Thank you. Yes, the word "object" is an important one in
this statement.

> It appears that when the direct object takes the
> {-'e'} suffix, it comes before the adverbial.

Again, Okrand softens this rule with the word "may". "The
adverbial MAY follow the object noun...". Again, I tend to
think this is very stylistically good, but not a rule that must
always be followed. It is a way of adding even more emphasis
than the suffix {-'e'} alone.

> From reading the text of
> that section, I think the accompanying example contains a typo.  I think
> it should be {HaqwI''e' DaH yISam}.

Yes. I think Krankor pointed this out in an article in HolQeD a
while back. I wrote an article pointing out glaring errors that
others had made (some of which turned out to not be errors at
all -- *I* was the one in error thinking they were in error)
and Krankor responded with an article pointing out numerous
errors which all really WERE errors. I'm pretty sure this was
one of them. It is certainly one I had marked in my TKDs from
way back.

> In this case the object (HaqwI''e')
> precedes the adverbial (DaH).

Good example.

> yoDtargh

Good research. Thanks for the watchful eye.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \