tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 12 08:37:24 1994

Re: KLBC: Bumper Sticker Translation

>Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 23:43:57 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to [email protected]:
>>
>> I saw a bumper sticker yesterday which read:
>> "England forever!  Scotland a wee bit longer."
>>
>> The best translation (of a paraphrased version) i could come up with is:
>> reH tera'!  loQ tlhIngan nI' law' tera' nI' puS.

>Well, the planet's name is Qo'noS, not tlhIngan, but overall,
>this is the right translation.

>> I am not satisfied with the wordiness.  Any suggestions?

>If you want shorter, this somewhat misses the boat, but:

>reH tera' 'oHtaH! reH Qo'noS 'oHtaHqu'!

Hmm, I'm not sure I like "reH tera' 'oHtaH": that sounds like "It's always
Terra" (what's always Terra?).  How about "reH taHjaj tera'! reH  taHqu'jaj
Qo'noS!"?  cf. the toast (in anomolous toast-grammar): reH tlhInganpu'
taHjaj.

>> Qapla' laddies!
>> DaQtIq

>charghwI'