tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 05 22:30:52 1994

Re: jIlIHegh 'ach *poem* jImuch

>According to Mac Morgan:
>
>> *poem*-vam jIghItlhta' :
>>
>> --------------------------
>> chalmey Doq
>> --------------------------
>If you provide an English translation, I can do a lot better
>job of telling you whether or not you got what you were after.
>Here, I'm not sure what you were after.

Quite right...see below

>> chalmey Doq jInajbe'
>>      vIleghqa'ta'neSpa'
>
>This one is confused. If {chalmey Doq} is supposed to be the
>object of {najbe'}, then you have the wrong prefix.

I mistyped this one...and since I also fell prey to the TKD typos, I'll
retype the tlhingan along with the English.

>as intense as poetry. What would you think of a Martian who
>begins to learn English and decides to start out writing poetry
>before learning how to ask, "Where is the bathroom?"

Your point is well-taken, but even in English I tend to write
straightforward, grammatically correct poetry, so I don't *mean* to extend
poetic license beyond the bounds of literacy! :-/

>tIq wavlu'bogh
>
>Of course, this might be misinterpreted in the literal sense...
>Be careful how you use it. The wearing of body armor might be
>advised.

true... perhaps "soul" or "spirit" would be better...Klingons tend to be
literalists, don't they?  Unfortunately those are two other word I don't
know.

>{naj} is a verb, not a noun.

There is no noun for DREAM in TKD, but since it seems consistent with other
verb/nouns, such as BEAM [jol], BLAME [pIch], CHANGE [choH], GOSSIP [joS],
et al, I decided to appropriate *naj* as a noun.  Again, I don't intend to
invoke poetic license; if there's a better word please inform me.

>convey a thought. Great poems sometimes just sit there, though
>I may somewhat uniquely think that a great poem should be
>accessible. That is part of what would make it great.

I agree with you completely that a great poem should be accessible. I call
this little writing a poem (I do NOT call it great) because it is intended
to evoke a mood rather than convey information.

>> mac
>>

>charghwI'
>--

Ok...let's start again:  mu'bomwIj vImuchqa'

Chalmey Doq
---------------------
nuqDaq chalmey Doq
     vInajtaHbogh
          vIqawbe'taHviS

ghoSlI' jaghmey'a'
     'a naj qu' law'
          Hoch qu' puS

wav'eghDi' tiq'e'
     biDDaq HIv biD 'ej
          Hoch jeypu'

chalmey Doq
     vInajbe'
          vIleghqa'ta'neSpa'

------ Federation Standard ------

Where are the red skies
   of which I dream
      but do not remember?

Enemies come
   but the dream
      is the fiercest.

When the heart is divided
   part against part
      the whole is defeated.

I shall not dream
   until I see again
      the red skies.

Mac

"When walking, walk.  When sitting, sit.  Above all, don't wobble."

                                        - author unknown

Back to archive top level