tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 05 15:24:44 1994

Re: Hoch vISovnIS

>Hoch vISovnIS 'e' wa'DIch DuSaQDaq jIghojta'
>

> N: Hoch: everyone, all, everything.
>
> V: vISovnIS: I-him/her/it/them need to know.
>
> N: 'e': that.
>
> N: wa'DIch: first.
>
> N: DuSaQDaq: in school.
>
> V: jIghojta': I did learn.
>

>Does this work for y'all as a tlhIngan Hol
>
>    "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten"?

I think it's a little odd.  It could be tightened up with a -bogh construct:

DuSaQDaq Hoch vISovnISbogh vIghojta'

Oh, I just noticed your prefix on "jIghojta'" is wrong; the verb is taking
an object, 'e', so it needs to be vI- regardless.

The use of wa'DIch to me is a bit odd.  It seems to me I'd be more likely
to translate it as "Everything I need to know, first I learned in school",
which doesn't really convey the point of "kindergarten", as I suspect you
want it to.

If you wanted to say "first school", you need to put wa'DIch AFTER the noun
it modifies; it would be DuSaQ wa'DIchDaq (because -Daq always goes on the
last noun in a noun-noun construction, although, hmm...  that's debatable).
But the wa'DIch would definitely have to go after the DuSaW to indicate
"First school".

Pretty close for a first try!

...Paul

Back to archive top level