tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 28 04:42:19 1994

Re: Talk like a Klingon!

> >> And while I'm at it, that one non-canon mu'qaD created by DrujIv, I
> believe,
> >> that went something like {DuSaQmoH be' qan lutmey} bugs me. For one thing,
> >> Klingons do not cry. Remember from ST6; no tear ducts. ({SaQ} prob'ly
> means
> >> "cry out") Secondly, the role of women in Klingon society is that of
> teachers
> >> in the way of methods of battle. They stay home and teach the children the
> >> ways of the warrior (all this came from the STE; read it- it's cool).
> Thus,
> >> an old *Klingon* women would most likely NOT be a symbol of frailty, but
> an
> >> aged and experience teacher of warriors. If I was told that the stories of
> >> MrMiyagi make *me* cry/yell, I'm not sure how I would take that, but it
> would
> >> doubtedly occur to me as an insult.
>

> >*ahem*
>
> >I don't know what DurjIv might have responded to this, as I am now four
> >days behind in my meail, from a short trip I took...
>
> >But I, for one, take offense at this.
>
> Didn't you read my PS (ghItlh 'o')?? I saaaaid: I meant no offense; all the
> other mu'qaD were hot cha, a-ok. It's just this one that gnaws at me. It just
> keeps gnawing and gnawing and gnawing and gnawing....

Sadly, if it was in Klingon, probably not.  I don't always translate
things as I am answering email.

> >>I believe I already stated that I do notfollow the majority of what is
> >>stated in the STE, and this is yet another one.
>
> Ah, so you're a canonist. Hey, I respect that. I've read very little of STE,
> but from what I've heard, I don't blame you for retaining the conservatist
> view.

Canonist?  It depends how you define 'canon'... and I think that is the
problem here.  I simply don't consider what is in the STE as 'canon'.  It
looks like someone said "hey!  We should really have a seciotn on
Klingons in here!" and promptly made up the information they thought
should be included... which had nothing to do with what has been
presented to us for the Klingons so far.  Why should I accept what has
*obviously* not even *attempted* to remain consistent with the rest of
the language/culture as we know it as 'canon'??? I shouldn't.  Therefore,
I do not.

> Even so, I still think that it is not safe to consider old women to have the
> same cultural status in Klingon society as they do in Terran society.

Most assuredly so, especially since we all know a Klingon female can
easily tear apart a Klingon male in fair combat... {{;) {{:)

> >SuvwI'na' jIHqu' 'e' DaHonchugh, vaj naDev yIghoS 'ej HISuv!
>

> >--tQ
>
> vIHonbe'qu'bej 'ach HeghtaHjaj HonwI'na'lI', mongchaj DuQtaHvIS pachlIj.

*hehs*  qatlho'neS {{:)

> >--
> >HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD >Qanqor...?
>
> ghaytan HonwI'Daj'e' SIbI' HoHlaHqu'mo' Qanqor, buQbogh mu'chaj qImHa' 'ej
> Haghqu'. toH teH ghu'vam'e'! HeghtaH HonwI' 'ej HaghtaH HarwI'!

Ah!  The first real comment on my .sig quote! :)
Huh?  I get:  "Likely because Qanqor can killl suddenly his doubter, they
unconcentrate their words wich threaten and augh.  So this is true!  The
doubters laugh and the believers laugh!"  I don't get it.

> >--HoD trI'Qal  Captain T'rkal  ---------------------
> >  tlhwD lIy So'  IKV Hidden Comet |   [email protected]
>
> BTW, Dapvetlh vIghItlhpu'bogh yItu'Qo' pagh yabwIj DaHonchoHbej!

Oh, is that why I was so confused, hrm...? {{:)

> nga'chuqtaHbogh cha' targhmeyvetlh vItay'Ha'moHmeH nuq?
> "How do I separate those two mating targs?"
Um... how about:

chay' nga'chuqbogh cha'targhmeyvetlh vItay'Ha'moH?

After all, that is what <chay'> is for...

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level