tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 27 09:30:55 1994

Re: KLBC: Another saying

According to Heidi Wessman:
> 'ach.....
>
> <terran word> chay' Dajatlh'a'

The problem is that you are indicating a question TWICE. This
translates as "Is it that how do you say <terran word>?" Not
quite what you wanted. You don't need {-'a'} when you are using
question words like nuq, 'Iv, qatlh, nuqDaq, chay' or ghorgh.

> Could one also say:
>
>     <terran word> chay' jatlhlu''a'

This suffers from the same mistaken redundency. Better as:

<terran word> chay' Dajatlh?

<terran word> chay' jatlhlu'?

charghwI' - Beginners' Grammarian

[No, I don't put the title 'cause I've got an ego problem. I
say it because there are always new beginners and if I don't
state this, then new people won't understand that specific
people are supposed to answer stuff like this...]

Back to archive top level