tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 27 08:10:29 1994

Re: Adjectival verbs

Bill Willmerdinger wrote:

 > I've been assuming that adjectival verbs, like "tuj" be hot
 > or "boch" be shiny, could not be used as the main verb in a
 > sentence, but only as modifiers on a noun.  Looking at the
 > examples in my TKD, however, I see "boch ghIchraj" and "yItamchoH",
 > both of which use verbs I had tagged as "adjectival".

 > I guess that I've been excluding from use fully half of the
 > verbs in TKD, effectively keeping myself from saying things I
 > thought I couldn't say easily. Some of these were keeping me from
 > going further on a couple of translation projects!

I think most of us have seen a "jIQuch" used every now and then.
But {Quch} = be happy is also adjectival, i.e., loDHom Quch.
If you want that to be a complete sentence, you could
instead say, {Quch loDHom} = The boy is happy.  That one joke
on PK with the prison guard has lots of good examples (jIghung,
jI'oj, jIDoy'qu', etc.) to help guide you.

 > Qob

Amy

Back to archive top level