tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 28 11:30:34 1994

KLBC: Another saying

I would sooner die in battle than face uucp & Bill Willmerdinger over "KLBC:
Another saying"!
 uu> From: ur-valhalla!freenet.carleton.ca!as709 (Margaret Kipp)

 uu> You are not ready to count your enemy's losses until you have learned
 uu> to count your own.  And remember that some enemies will never have
 uu> learned to count.

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I enjoy trying to translate these things as
well, so I'll take a whack at this.

 uu> jaghlI'chIlghachmey  Datoghrupbe'  chIlghachmeylI'  DatoghlaHpu'pa'.
 uu> chIlghachmeychaj  toghqangtaHbe'bogh jaghpu'law'  yIqaw.

I think "jaghlI'chIlghachmey" ought to be two words, leaving the -ghach
controversy aside for the moment.

I would have rephrased this as "Before you can count the losses of your enemy,
you must learn to count your own losses", simply to make it a bit clearer who
is doing what when *in Hol*.  Also, you left off the "learned" part
altogether.

Here's my attempt, -ghach's included.

jaghlI' chIlghachmey DatoghlaHpa' chIlghachmeylI' Datogh 'e' DaghojnIS

Now is a good time to say that I don't generally favor the use of -ghach like
this, and that "losses" in this regard is idiomatic and probably not a Klingon
way of refering to the deaths of fellow warriors.  So, to be more accurate, I
think I'd say this:

Heghbogh jaghpu'lI' mI' DatoghlaHpa' Heghbogh SuvwI'pu'lI' mI' Datogh 'e'
DaghojnIS

"Before you can count the number of your enemies who (will) die, you must
learn to count the number of your warriors who (will) die."

> jaghlI' chIlghachmey Datoghrup

Same thing.  I'd say:

toghnIS chaH 'e' rut lughojbe' jaghlI' 'e' DaqawnIS

"You must remember that sometimes your enemies do not learn that they need to
count."

(To the List in general:  is it okay to have two sentence-as-object
constructions in the same sentence?)

Qob

... Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Back to archive top level