tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 21 12:57:09 1994

Star Trek VI

... was on the tv last night. Someone has got to transcribe this stuff, and
publish it in HolQeD: there are surprises to be had there. Just as in the
Skybox cards series (which, Mark, did render canonical the "ship in which
I travelled" pattern you've just protested). I may or may not do this; if
someone has already done this, never mind this "bIpo'choHmeH do it yourself"
stuff --- post it!

The pronunciation was not as bad as TNG, but it wasn't good either. Chang
says at one point "naHta'". I'm sitting there thinking "king of fruit?!"
As it turns out, of course, he was *trying* to say narghta'. I did hear
Klingons dropping their H's --- Okrand's decision to write H instead of kh
has been a monumental stupidity, plaguing Trek Klingons ever since. And
I'm ashamed to admit it, but some Klingons --- notably the underlings ---
talked a bit too fast for me.

A good movie, but not a great one. It was at the caliber of a good hour-long
episode. It just went on for two hours overtime. Chang was about as menacing
as Dan Quayle.  And as garrulous as Polonius. Translating some of the
dialogue, for instance the trial scene, and performing it at conventions might
be fun, though. Dunno what the copyright story would be.

--
Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
        [email protected]      [email protected]
            AND MOVING SOON TO: [email protected]

Back to archive top level