tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 21 13:28:03 1994

Re: KLBC: Day to Die

charghwI'vo':

> > yoDtarghvo':  Who was it who said, "Today is a good day to die"?

> BOY, have we been through THIS one! While we cannot all agree
> on what works best here, your attempt has some problems.

Sorry to reopen the proverbial can of gharghmey.  I've only been on this
list about 9 days, so I guess I missed that debate.

> > Anyhow, here is my attempt to translate it:
> > jIHeghvaD jaj QaQ 'oH jajvam'e'.
>
> First, {-vaD} is a noun suffix and you are using it on a verb.
> Before you quickly replace it with {-meH}, don't bother. That
> doesn't really work either. Apparently, in English, we use
> "for" in more ways than Klingon intends for this suffix. The
> result would mean, "In order that I die, today is a good day."
> If you look closely at this, it stops making sense.
>
> I know. I proposed using {-meH} in just this instance, and lost
> the argument to others with a far deeper linguistic background
> than myself.

I correct in assuming that {-meh} can only be used to express volition
or intent?

> Secondly, the word for "today" is {DaHjaj}, not {jajvam}, and
> there is no reason to presume that a time related term like
> {jaj} gets a spacially related suffix like {-vam} or {-vetlh}.

Does this mean I can't say {DISvam} or {jarvetlh} or even {qoSwI'Daq}?

> A number of people on this list argued over how to say this
> well, and I ultimately didn't like ANY of them and have not
> forgotten what the list at large settled on. Does anybody else
> remember?

I am going to figure out how to say this, even if it kills me.  Perhaps
it's a good day after all...  {{;-)>

My next attempt was:  jIHeghchugh jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'.
But unfortunately, it implies:  jIHeghbe'chugh jaj qab 'oH DaHjaj'e'.

So I've narrowed in down to three choices:
1.  HeghwI'vaD jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'.

2.  jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e' 'e' jIHegh.

3.  jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e' 'ej jIHeghrup.
(How do you say "therefore"?)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level