tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 21 06:52:29 1994

Re: KBTP: Term for Bible

On Fri, 19 Aug 1994, Joel Anderson wrote:

> > > The phrase would be grammatically happier if it was <lay'ghach ngo'>
> > > and <lay'ghach chu'>.
>
> > Oh. Yeah.
>
> Wait a minute.. wasn't I right in the first place?  new-being promise,
> old-being promise?  Isn't the promise the subject?

As you had it, <ngo' lay'ghach> is indeed the subject.  As such, it means
"the promise is old".  If this is what you meant to say, then you were
right.  In English, however, Old Testament is an adjective + noun.  "An
old promise" would be expressed in tlhIngan Hol as <lay'ghach ngo'>.  Of
course, when we publish the Klingon Bible, it will not include a section
lables "Old Testament".  Since this is an eccumenical undertaking, the
first section of the Bible will be called "Hebrew Scriptures".  Maybe
<ghItlh *'Ibrit*>.

Kevin A. Wilson                                [email protected]

                    "Give beer to the despairing
                     and wine to the bitter of heart;
                     let them drink and forget their poverty
                     and remember their trouble no more."