tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 12 06:34:36 1994

Re: Speaking tlhingan Hol

> > I speak tlhIngan Hol, as much as
> > possible, to my (10 week-old) son.  He doesn't criticize my
> > pronunciation!  {{{;)
>
> Personnaly, I'd be very interested to know whether your young son's first word
> is in English or tlhingan Hol.

Actually, it'll probably be neither.  My wife and I are also speakers
of American Sign Language.  It's been demonstrated that children whose
parents sign, produce their first sign about 3 months in advance of a
child whose parents speak.  Perhaps ALL children are *capable* of
language earlier than previously expected, but that the articulation
system used in signing is less sophistocated that the
vocal-articulation system of speech.  Food for thought.

> KoSneH

--Holtej

Back to archive top level