tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 21 02:00:49 1994

Re: West Coast Klingon Seminar?

>   Would the person who was interested in helping put on a "West Coast" KLI
> Seminar please contact me.  I'd like to get this thing started!
>
>   Also.. if anyone is interested in attending a KLI seminar in the western
> region of the US, please contact me.  I'd like to see what location is
> central (and cheap) for everyone to get to...
>
> -majiq

While I certainly want to encourage most anything which promotes the
Klingon language, the lawyer types require me to step in when I see a
post like the one above.

As far as I know (and I'm the one who would know) there is NOT a KLI
Seminar planned for the western region of the U.S.  There may be a
seminiar in the works, but it is not sponsored by the KLI.

This is a subtle distinction, but an important one, especially given the
new nonprofit corporate status of the KLI.

Or to give you another and more specific example: The Klingon Language
Camp held in Minnesota in 1993 *was* sponsored in part by the KLI.  The
camp held in Minnesota this summer, 1994, was *not* sponsored by the KLI.
You may have seen it mentioned in HolQeD, and that is because the KLI is
in the business of promoting the language, and the camp was intended to
do that, so it was deemed appropriate. If someone (and by someone I mean
someone qualified and able to pull it off) puts together a Seminar out
west it too would most likely receive support, as this year's camp did.
It would still not be a KLI event.  It could become one, but that would
be between the organizers of the event to work out.

Sorry for the bureaucratic stuff, but like I said, our lawyers require it
of us.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level