tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 04:35:55 1994

Re: Translate *that* sentence...

On Thu, 18 Aug 1994, HoD trI'Qal wrote:

[this is a whole bunch of stuff one really doesn't need to read unless
they truly feel the need.]

> chuQunvo':
> > On Fri, 5 Aug 1994, ghItlhpu' HoD trI'Qal:
> she
> > > Well, I translated it as:  I like it. [You should really so something to
> > > distinguish between sentences.  If you don't like using punctuation
> > > (which there is a precedent for), then at least put each separate
> > > sentence on a different line?  It *does* make parsing what you wrote
> > > easier... {{:) ]  That sentence [note the small typo in <mu'tlhegh>!]
> > > caused me to be angry the eight English translations.
> > > Which doesn't really make sense.  What did you intend?
> > I forgot the period.  ghe''or mungeHjaj veqlargh.  I really meant "It
> > caused me to be angry at those english translations.  I will admit I was
> > not in best typing form that day.
> It happens to the best of us...

Then I am in good company.  It also happens to the worst of us.

> I am not sure your translation was the best, either (no offens, it may
> have been a bad translation day, too.  And I have had more than my share
> of those to sympathize...).  How about this:

I'm always having difficulties with the more complex sentences.  Yet if I
don't attempt those complex sentences, I'll never increase in skill.  (as
you can see, I have enough trouble with American English as it is.)

> 	chorgh tera'ngan mu'tlheghmeymo', jIQeHchoH.
> 	"I became angry because of those 8 english sentences."
> Or am I still missing your intention?

You know, I can't even remember my original intention...

chuQun
"What is the Klingon word for <oops>?"

Back to archive top level