tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 04:24:42 1994

Re: How to translate the bible???

>From: Heidi Wessman <[email protected]>
>Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 13:51:50 -0600 (MDT)

>I like calling it the Old Testament and the New Testament.  I have found,
>through my own studies, that that is the best description of the
>Christian bible.

Diffidently I point out that what you call "The Old Testament" is the
Hebrew Bible, and was so first (actually, not diffidently at all: where do
you get off appripriating it?).  For me, that's the *whole* of the Bible,
and calling it the "Old Testament" implies that there must be more to itg.
We are not translating the Bible as "the Christian Bible," but as a piece
of literature.  As such, it is inappropriate to go calling it "The
Christian Bible" as though nobody else uses it or regards it as anything.

>I still believe the KJ version should be translated over to klingon as
>closely as possible.  There are many different ways one could read and
>translate the bible that any deviation from a direct literal translation
>may be considered an imposition of the translators beliefs.  I know how
>much others wish to avoid that.

Um, who ever said the KJV was a good representation of the original?  I
never thought so.  The KJV is a translation, and all translations are
interpretations.  This is unavoidable.  I have very litle faith in
translations from translations, and less in translations from translations
that were originally written with an ulterior motive in mind (namely,
making the Bible, Hebrew and Greek, all seem to point to Jesus, even when
the reference wasn't there).  The KJV actually isn't a very good
translation.  At least for the Hebrew stuff it isn't.  Me, I translate from
the Hebrew.

Sorry, but I think you should think a little better about what you're
saying.  Not everyone is Christian here, and Christians don't have a
monopoly on all of what they call the Bible.

>chuQun

~mark

Back to archive top level