tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 00:31:57 1994

Re: KBTP: Term for Bible

On Fri, 19 Aug 1994, Joel Anderson wrote:

> Well... I started this...
>
> To sum up... for my own purposes and unless directed otherwise I will
> use:
>
> 	paq'a'
>    and
> 	joH'a' paq'a'
>
> As Klingon equivalent terms for Bible and Holy Bible.

As much as I like my own suggestion of paq'a', I must admit that Mark's
suggestion of lalDanpaq has me thinking.  Both are ambiguous in their own
way, but lalDanpaq is a bit more descriptive.  I'll have to think about
it.  I do not like joH'a' paq'a', since the Bible is about more than just
God.

> The Christian terms "Old Testament", "New Testament" could be (dreaded
> nominalizer alert) "ngo' lay'ghach"/ "chu' lay'ghach", unless someone
> wants to suggest a happier phrase.

The phrase would be grammatically happier if it was <lay'ghach ngo'> and
<lay'ghach chu'>.

Kevin A. Wilson                                [email protected]

                    "Give beer to the despairing
                     and wine to the bitter of heart;
                     let them drink and forget their poverty
                     and remember their trouble no more."