tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 00:19:57 1994

KBTP: Term for Bible(was Re: I shouldn't ask...)

Well... I started this...

To sum up... for my own purposes and unless directed otherwise I will
use:

	paq'a'
   and
	joH'a' paq'a'

As Klingon equivalent terms for Bible and Holy Bible.  The other,
ahem, suggestions, while creative and no doubt possessed of a certain
visceral appeal, wouldn't suit if one *happened* to be translating
Sunday School songs or some such  [too many syllables if nothing else].

Even the fairly mild "wIch'a' paq", doesn't really qualify, since the
term "Bible" tells you nothing about the content - which is too varied
even to describe - probably why such a generic word as "Bible" is
used. [Law, story, poetry, history, letters.]

I'd guess that since Tanakh and Torah aren't translations they should
just be transliterated, I'd assume.  tanaQ. tora'.

The Christian terms "Old Testament", "New Testament" could be (dreaded
nominalizer alert) "ngo' lay'ghach"/ "chu' lay'ghach", unless someone
wants to suggest a happier phrase.

	SuvnISbe' SuvwIna'. yIrojqu'!

     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
      *mumuSHa' yeSuS, Dochvam vISov * muja'mo' joH'a' paq'a' *

Back to archive top level