tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 18 23:41:38 1994

Re: I shouldn't ask...

>From: "Stephanie Chase (DV 1995)" <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 12:46:26 -0400 (EDT)

>On Mon, 15 Aug 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

>> > Is there a phrase yet for "Bible" yet?
>>
>> wIch'a'paq would be both appropriate and unpopular.

>wIch'a'paq would describe a decent amount of the Bible, but it would not
>do justice to the whole.  In keeping with standard English tradition I
>had been using paq'a'.  Klingons might not describe their own religious
>writings this way, but since we are not pretending that the Bible was
>originally a Klingon document, I think the use is justified.

Yugh.  "paq'a'", the Great Book?  Doesn't work for me.  Even many Terrans
(even Jews and Christians) would find that meaning at best archaic and at
worst obscure.  I mean, it's a book of religion, right?  Or better, the
religion's book.  I like "lalDanpaq".  That may apply equally to the Koran
or even the Rg Veda, but there's not much that can be done about that.
Context will have to point out that the discussion at the time is
Judeo-Christian culture.

>Kevin A. Wilson

~mark

Back to archive top level