tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 10 03:06:45 1994

Re: Translated Phrase

> jaghlI' Hugh DachoptaHvIS 'ej ponglIj pongtaHvIS ghach
> batlh bIHeghjaj!
>
> "While you bite your enemy's throat and while he calls your
> name, may you die with honor!"
>
> I stretched things a little to use {'ej} as a conjunction
> between two DEPENDENT clauses. I may be wrong on that one, but
> leaving it out felt even worse. I'd be open to other opinions
> on this. Holtej? ~mark? Krankor? trI'Qal? Guido#1? Nick? (I'm
> sure I'll catch flaq for leaving somebody out...)

I am going to test the limits of others' faith in my judgments here,
and put in a vote of acceptance for this construction.  In general,
clauses behave like sentences (the theory of grammar I study takes
this position to the extreme), and the conjunction should work equally
well for all clauses as for sentences, regardless of the status of
that clause in the sentence as a whole.  Make sense?

> charghwI'

--Holtej

Back to archive top level