tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 10 05:06:24 1994

Re: Translated Phrase

> > 'Die with your teeth in your enemy's throat and your name on his
> > tongue.'
> >
> > So far, what I have is this:
> >
> > biHeghvIS jaghlI' HughDaq Ho'Du'lIj yIlan 'ej jatDajDaq ponglij yIlan
>
> Well, you need {-taH} go go along with that {-vIS}.  Or, you could use
> {-DI'}: {bIHeghDI' ...}.
>
> --Holtej

So when do you use {-taH}, and when don't you.  I got the impression
that dying was something that you do once, not continuously.  If it's a
case of being continuous because you're doing something else at the same
time, then I don't understand when to distinguish between doing
something and doing something continuously.  As far as I can tell, if
anything, {-taH} seems overused - some actions don't need a continuous
marker - if I sing, then it is only continuous if I sing for a very
prolonged period, or if I do it on a regular basis.

Yours, puzzled{-taH}

--
bu' {qSeroHS vayn}    thanx, charghwI'!

Niall Hosking