tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 09 11:53:36 1994

Re: Aaaarrrgh! Qu'vatlh! (was "Update: Okrand on the radio")

> Am I missing something, or did Okrand just give us the first
> authoritative translation of "fuck"^H^H^H^H^H^HQu'vatlh? Did he
> translate any of the other exclamations?
>
> Geno

Well, I'd hesitate to make this much of the interview.  Don & Mike
weren't interested in hearing "there's no word for..., so we say...."
They wanted to curse, so he gave them the best he had, {Qu'vatlh}.
Yes, D&M took it and ran with it, saying stuff like "Qu'vatlh you!"
But I don't think he meant to imply that {Qu'vatlh} means *anything*.
It was rather off-the-cuff.

--Holtej

PS.  There was only one other curse, they asked how to saw someting
like A-hole, and Marc said {yIntagh}.  Same schtick as above, I
wouldn't take it as gospel.

Back to archive top level