tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 08 03:18:37 1994

Re: Have a nice day (KLBC)

KoSneH wrote:

> I've been reading everything that comes across this list for quite some time
> now; I *thought* I understood tlhingan Hol *until* I started reading this list.
> Most of what comes through here only leaves me more confused than ever.
> Would it be asking to much of the Linguists here to explain things a little
> more simply and a bit less technically?

This is a very understanable sentiment, and it's something I've been
guilty of myself.  The trick of course is that not only do we have people
here of very different levels of ability in tlhIngan Hol, but also a wide
range of formal (or even informal) background in linguistics and related
disciplines.

This is part of why the Beginners section was started, to focus beginner
klingon questions there where they would not be so overwhelmed. That
doesn't help for the variance of linguistic ability though. My suggestion
is if something doesn't make sense, try to post a reply identifying
specifically what it was that confused you, or at what point we lost you.
This in turn will allow others to focus on the problem area.  It's worked
before, as when Nick and I started going off about errgative languages
and half the people on the list replied with a collective "huh?"

So, if there's anything confusing, we've certainly got the resources on
this list to set you straight.  Just tell us what's confusing.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level