tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 07 22:11:39 1994

Re: Names in tlhIngan Hol

> > > I don't know what it'd be in *Klingoneze*, as I'm not even sure what
> > > that is, but in tlhIngan Hol, it'd be {HotlhwI'}.
> >
> > Klingonese (Klingoneze, Klingonaase) is the bastardization of either
> > English to make it look like tlhIngan Hol.
> >
> The point that I believe Holtej was trying to make was that some of use
> don't call Klingon Klingonese/Klingonase/whatever.  To us, it is either
> Klingon or tlhIngan Hol.
>

> > Now, I've been wondering about names.  Most of us have Klingon names, but
> > I've never bothered to look them up.  I'd be interested in finding out
> > why everyone chose the names they did.
> >
> > FYI, I chose chuQun because that's what Heidi means in German.
> >
> > How about the rest of you?
>
> This is a *very* long story, and one I am not inclined to post to the list.
>
> If you still want to hear it, I would be happy to send it you... just
> send me some email to the address listed below.
>

> --tQ
Give the existance of older Klingon forms (such as Klingonaase from
John M. Ford's writings[& FASA]), there is no reason that there
shouldn't be more than one dialect/language in the Klingon Empire.
							   ^^^^^^
After all, the Federation has Federation Standard (English?), Vulcan,
etc.  Not to mention the various languages on Earth.  So it's easiest to
presume (from the into to TKD) that there are several main
languages/dialects used in the Empire.  After all, look at the change in
Klingons in the time between Classic Star Trek and the movies!  Maybe
the so-called 'Imperial Klingons' speak tlhIngan Hol, whilst the
'human-fusion' Classic Klingons speak Klingonaase.

Don't forget, in English we don't always use the correct language name
for the language.  We say 'German', whilst the Germans say "Deutch" (or
something similar - I'm out of practice).  What about "Francais" or
Nihongo (Japanese).  'Klingonese' or variants thereof are just an
anglicization of 'tlhIngan Hol' (as 'Klingon' is of 'tlhIngan')

Not that it hurts to be purist; just be definite (-na') about *which*
language you are referring to when you say anything other than tlhIngan

As far as names go - mine doesn't mean anything in tlhIngan Hol - it is
just a tlhIngan spelling of "Kserokhs Vaene".  This is a better version
of a name for a mage character of mine - the name is drawn from the two
words I used to make it - try 'Xerox Vain' - I prefer my later version -
I was young and foolish then.
--
qSeroHS vayn
aka